Wednesday 22 February 2017

African books.

I'm lucky having a few good friends from the African continent. Amongst them one from Morocco and a few from Uganda. I've spent parts of the day with one of my friends from Uganda and our conversation amongst lots of things was about African litteratur. He told me, in spite of loving to read and the fact that he had read lots of books at an early age, that he was almost 30 years old the first time he read a book by an African author.

He said that Africa as a continent, as far as he knew, and also Uganda doesn't do enough to  "market" the authors of the continent. As we where talking I asked him to recommend me a few books. And so he did. He gave me a list of three, actually it's five, books.

So Long a Letter by Mariama Ba
The African Trilogy by Chinua Achebe
Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

I'll start the hunt for African litteratur and start reading. Please give me more recommendations.


No comments:

Post a Comment