Thursday 27 October 2016

Mental illness, professional and private.

During my professional life I've been working at different kinds of psychiatric units and community based halfway houses. I've also experienced mental illness in my family through my life.
Still I can't stop wondering how different the experiences are between the two (professional and private life).
As years go by I experience that more and more people with mental disorders are reporting to have a good quality of life. Still I get concerned and worried when members of my family are struggling with mental illness. I even try to convince them what they are going through are normal struggles in life and not psychiatry when I should know better.
One of the important factors to experience a good life, in general, but especially for people experiencing mental illness is the feeling of being in control. When a member of my family is telling me about his or hers mental illness and I tell them it's something else I deprive them from being in control.
I should have known better and will try to change starting today. I will make an effort being more supportive to the members of my family struggling with mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment